Tuesday, January 20, 2009

the songs that made me twee: nrbq - i want you bad


NRBQ is a very weird band and my feelings about them are complicated. Sometimes they bug me because they are so jazz-y and out to lunch, sometimes they leave me cold because they have chops. Geez, chops are the worst! Once in a great while though, they pull the most amazing sweetheart pop songs out of their wigs and it makes me think that they could have been one of the great pop bands ever if they had been content to stay away from the outer space jazz and down home boogie. "I Want You Bad" is the song that makes me love them, misgivings and all. The melody is so warm, the vocals so yearning and heartbreakingly open-hearted that even the very clever guitar solos don't spoil the party. I wish there was a video of them doing the song in their hairy, scary heyday of the mid-70's. The best I can do is to ask you to please listen to this song, it'll put a smile on your face and calm your midnight fever. It's working wonders for me right now...

No comments: