Thursday, December 31, 2009

the twee pop soul of 2009, pt. 2: the more none more twee mixtape



Part two of the NMT's looking back at 2009 mixtape is filled with the same kind of sweet goodness that reminds me of why I like pop music, indie pop of this nature specifically. Every song here has the kind of hooks, tunes and melodies that make for great pop, but there is an underlying warmth and soul to them that you might not find quite so easily elsewhere. I don't say this to be some kind of indie pop elitist, I mean Drake's So Far Gone is probably my favortite record of the year, for pete's sake. I really just say it because when I listened to each one of these songs for the first (and tenth) time I was both flooded with nostalgia and overwhelmed with that new love feeling all at once. It's a weird but totally awesmoe sensation, and it's something I'll keep chasing until the end. I hope you find something here that gives you that same kind of feeling. If not, maybe you'll like something on Vol. 3.....

The Brunettes - "Red Rollerskates"
Lake Heartbeat - "Mystery"
Fitness Forever - "Monica"
Pants Yell! -"Someone Loves You"
Tender Trap - "Fireworks"
The Pocketbooks - "Footsteps"
The Drums - "Let's Go Surfing"
Veronica Falls - "Found Love in a Graveyard"
Lacrosse - "We Are Kids"
The Blanche Hudson Weekend - "Crying Shame"
The Voluntary Butler Scheme - "FFFoolish"
Internet Forever - "Break Bones"
The Pastels & Tenniscoats - "Boats"
The Crayon Fields - "All the Pleasures of the World"
The Online Romance - "Ladybug, Don't Smile"

Pants Yell! are so excited that you can DL it here!

No comments: