Friday, January 22, 2010

tim's favorite album of the 2000's



Saturday Looks Good to Me - All Your Summer Songs


Everything else was in the race for second place,  because this album is far above anything else for me. I love the emotion that fills the songs like sunshine on a cool day, the Girl Group and Motown sounds that Fred (and Warren) seemingly conjured out of thin air, the range of voices and instruments that take the songs from joy to heartbreak and back. . It's really quite breathtaking and powerful. And a lot sadder than the group gets credit for. There's always the conception that they were a goodtime happy fun band and while there are elements of that going on, these songs cry real tears and spill real blood. I don't think I'm overstating it at all. Just take a listen to this tune and see if you can help getting choked up a bit.


"Typing"


Every song on the album has some meaning for me, some have even been the soundtrack to important moments in my life as corny as that sounds. And yeah, it's true that I've known Fred forever but this record stands apart from all that. It would be just as important to me as a record even if fred were the biggest asshole in town instead of the biggest sweetheart. Just to convince you, I'm going to spill a little secret. I was actually going to sing a track on the record but when the time came to do it, I fucked it up so badly that he had no choice but to ask someone else (Matthew Smith of Outrageous Cherry) to take my place. So really, I should hate Summer Songs out of spite as opposed to it being one of the records I would run back to save if my house was on fire. I wish I had a copy of me singing it because it's so bad, but here's Matt instead. He did a pretty good job...


"No Good With Secrets"


And now because you've listened to me ramble on and on, you get a little treat. Here's an alternate mix of the single most devastating track on the album


"All Our Summer Songs"


The rest of my top ten:
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Jens Lekman - Oh You're So Silent Jens
J Dilla - Donuts
Bella - No One Will Know
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country
Love is All - Nine Times The Same Song
The Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic
The Legends - Up Against the Legends
Daft Punk - Discovery

No comments: