Thursday, June 3, 2010

a break in the clouds: nmt's mixtape for june


Ever since the final notes of the NYC Popfest faded, I've been feeling kind of blue. Happy because I saw a bunch of great bands, met some great people and generally felt about as at home in a crowd as I ever will. I even think the NMT DJ set went pretty well. Dropping in "Xanadu" was the highlight for me, you can't get much twee-er than that! 

The only thing that's made me feel better is tracking down new music and discovering old stuff I slept on. Coming back to work and finding the excellent new Tender Trap album on my desk helped, so did listening to the Santa Maria (Maria from the Concretes solo project from a few years ago) disc I scored for a couple bucks at Other Music. Otherwise a bunch of reverb-y stuff, a great deep cut from the Allo Darlin' album (they were bonkers good at Popfest) and what might be White Shoes & the Couples Co.'s new single. If you're feeling it too, I hope this mix is like a little bit of sunshine or at least a break in the clouds...

Tender Trap - "Dansette, Dansette"
Allo Darlin'- "Woody Allen"  
Zipper - "Visions"
Santa Maria - "Every Time" 
The Young Sinclairs - "Up Against The Wall" 
Wild Nothing - "O, Lilac" 
Beach Fossils - "Vacation" 
Spectrals - "Keep Your Magic Out of My House"  
Blackhawks - "Indigo"
The Proper Ornaments - "Are You Going Blind?" 
White Shoes & The Couples Company - "Kampus Kemarau" 
Action Biker -" Smashing Time"

Get it HERE!

1 comment:

threechordme said...

I was wondering who had played Xanadu or why!!! now I know : ]